Low fertility rate and increasing life expectancy are two issues which directly influence a higher number of older people in the total population. The problem of the population ageing affects the modern Europe and remains a major challenge for the economy and social security systems of the European society. An increasing share of the older people implicates the need to undertake actions aimed to engage the potential of the older people in frames of the social and civil activity.
Allowing people to stay active as they grow older and continue contributing to society is a key issue in order to tackle the challenge of demographic ageing. Volunteering answers to the need to strengthen older persons’ resources and potential for active participation in society. It is recognised as non-formal learning activity, which develop skills, and key competences (communication, social and civil competences, sense of initiative and entrepreneurship, learning to learn).
The main aim of the project is to strengthen the volunteering activity among the over 50 people. It will be accomplished by international cooperation of the staff of participating organizations, who will be exploring the theme of volunteering by exchanging ideas, knowledge, experience and good practices.
The specific goals are aimed at:
- getting familiar with some basic law regulations and statistic data on the volunteering in the partners’ countries;
- exploring the methods of work with the Over 50s volunteers in partners’ countries;
- learning about obstacles, which restrict the voluntary activity among the Over 50s;
- gaining information about attitude of entities organizing voluntary work towards the Over 50s volunteers;
- promoting volunteering in partners’ countries through dissemination events, leaflet and brochure of good practices.
The target group consists of educators/trainers/coaches active in the adult education, volunteer coordinators, project managers, practitioners working in the field of volunteering and active ageing, advisors, decision-makers from the participating organisatons.